Thursday 14 April 2011

Testing a Tester - Should be fun


This post can be considered as a gist of different emotional phases that I have gone through in these past few months.

Learning is a mode that never ends and should never either. People who know me will not delay a minute to say “Ya, right, you don’t dare to sit in front of the books for more than 30min and you say learning should never end. Yes, that would be the fact, you will never complete any book J

That’s cent percent true I have always hated textual learning, I love to try things, analyze it and learn from my experience. But recently my experience wasn’t pleasant. Given a choice I would not have chosen to explore this experience. But life is a package of circumstances and not choices; Its left to the person in that circumstance to make the best of it. Life always has positive energy in it which we miss out and highlight only the unpleasant aspect of it.

Recently, I was forced to stay off work and rest back home due to medical issues. If I illustrate my emotional phases in a table it would appear something like this

Emotional Phase
Energy Levels ( 1 – lowest, 10 – highest, 0 – Re energizing mode)
Full of fighting spirit, energetic
10
Happy
9
Fun
8
Fun
8
Nice
7
Cool
6
Accepted
5
Lost
3
Worried
2
Worried
1
Worried
-1
Analyzing
0
Analyzing
0
Moderate
4
Constructive
6
Constructive
7
Fun
8
Happy
9
Normal
9.5
Energetic
10

During my analysis phase I felt I have already been in this situation many times in my professional career, but I ignored to learn from that and hence had to go through tough times.

Being a tester you might think where would you have come across this situation? Just recap, If you have ever worked on any prolonged project, if so you will see this as a familiar cycle.

Initial project phase will be energetic, filled with fun and enjoyable; but slowly it gets monotonous. This is where we rework our strategies, approach and perspective; this rework energises back the testing sprit and fun associated with it.

Paid for my ignorance, during this phase I was testing a tester inside me. But it was hard to conclude weather my personality has higher impact on my profession or vice versa.

My Nature
Tester
·         Experiment and learn from that experience
·         Will never accept anything until analyzing all / most perspectives
·         Hate to quit; Try until achieved
·         Not harmful
·         Role of a tester – To explore, analyze and resolve issues
·         Attitude of a tester – To break stuff responsibly  
·         Plus to a tester’s attitude – Curious, Learn by exploration
·         Tough for a tester – Acceptance of failure
·         Negated attitude of tester – Constructiveness


Either wise glad I am back with my fighting spirit. Was a fun experience which I wanted to share. 

No comments: